|English Name||Nanashi Mumei|
|Debut Date||August 23, 2021|
|Member of||hololive English -Council-|
|YouTube||Nanashi Mumei Ch. hololive-EN|
|Website||hololive official website (EN)|
hololive official website (JP)
Introduction Video[edit source]
Official Bio[edit source]
Guardian of "Civilization"
A member of the Council and the Guardian of "Civilization," a concept crafted by mankind.
As a living embodiment of the sum of mankind's efforts—the mark that humans have left on the world—she is far removed from her fellow members, as well as other lifeforms. Due to not being created by the Gods, she was free to choose her own appearance, and decided to make herself owl-like, after the bird that symbolizes wisdom.
She is gentle, wise, and an unbelievably hard worker. As a well-traveled vagabond, she is blessed with a wealth of knowledge of the world. She has seen, heard, and experienced so many things that she has forgotten most of them, one of them being her own name.
For some reason, she seems to project a rather pitiable aura. Perhaps this is in part thanks to the loneliness she has often felt in her perennial travels. That is what gave her the idea of making her own friend out of a material that was indispensable to the development of human civilization: paper.
"It may fade and rip, but once a friend, forever a friend."
Nanashi Mumei (七詩ムメイ), born on August 4th, is an owl VTuber who debuted as part of hololive English -Council- representing “Civilization”. As an all-seeing guardian of mankind, she protects all who she looks upon and hopes everyone can be their best version of themselves.
Mumei’s streams are generally characterised by a relatively low energy, relaxing and comfortable tone (which she takes pride in) with Hoomans drawn in by her gentle talking and singing voice, her upbeat and persevering demeanour, and the various noises she makes during streams which fans overwhelmingly find cute and adorable. Mumei is also a fan of puns and frequently uses owl or bird-related wordplay in her Tweets and streams, and this is further evidenced by her choice of fan name and Twitter hashtags.
As an owl, she is stereotypically both forgetful and birdbrained with her not only forgetting her age and previous names over the millennia, but more recently has had many cases of forgetting when her scheduled streams were due to start - in one case almost starting a stream a day early. In addition, on one day in which she was quickly reheating some food before a stream that was about to start, she had found her herself randomly in the process of cleaning a stove. This level of forgetfulness was what led her to refer to her mascot only as “Friend”, as she wouldn’t be able to forgive herself were she to forget its name.
Mumei’s love of knowledge, drawing and singing come across strongly from her streams: with her frequently asking chat (or collab partners) if she can search online for answers to something she forgot or is unsure of; her frequent drawing-themed streams and knowledge of techniques demonstrated by painter Bob Ross; and her regularly singing parts of songs from artists across a wide range of genres – from Kelly Clarkson and My Chemical Romance, to The Story So Far and Backstreet Boys, to various songs from Disney movies and those from the musical adaptation of Les Misérables (which is also her favourite musical).
In terms of larger-scale forays into singing Mumei released an original song titled "A New Start" on 17th January, 2022, with this song first being first previewed during her debut stream. She has also sang a full cover of Silhouette by Kana-Boon (an OP for the anime Naruto: Shippuden), and held numerous unarchived karaoke streams (see General Trivia).
Her representative fan emoji is a feather because her physical form is of an owl.
As a cheerful, caring and sweet (yet introverted) barn owl, Nanashi Mumei takes her job seriously as a guardian protector of mankind. On the other hand, however, it is Hoomans who believe that the one that must be protected is Mumei herself. This desire to protect her is compounded by multiple aspects about her: such as her forgetfulness and the ease with which she becomes embarrassed and overwhelmed. These bouts of forgetfulness are frequent enough to make Hoomans joke that she “forgor” and “rembers” whenever she forgets about something and (sometimes) remembers it again during her streams. This forgetful nature, combined with regular spells of being scatterbrained or overwhelmed results in her panicking and as a result, doing or saying things she doesn't mean to such as inadvertently responding that she “forgot” in some cases where she didn’t actually forget due to sheer force of habit.
A notable instance of Mumei getting overwhelmed was her first Super Chat celebration stream, where she chose not to read chat at the beginning because she knew that she would (and eventually did) get startled by the fast rate of donations sent to her. However, this same stream also highlighted the care and appreciation she holds for her fans, with her stating numerous times throughout the stream that she sees the precious time people set aside to watch her streams “genuinely as valuable [as money]”. Similar sentiments were also shared during Mumei's membership opening stream; in which she said that she didn't mind if Hoomans didn't become members as she was "so appreciative of... anybody who comes and watches", and also was understanding of viewers who wanted to wait until she was feeling better before purchasing membership because she was feeling notably unwell at the time of this stream (with this choice making "a lot of sense" to her).
Outside of these celebration streams, her appreciation can further be seen in frequent Tweets expressing her gratefulness to those who watch and convey their enjoyment of her streams (particularly when the stream does not go as planned), her responses to those expressing gratitude for her content during streams, and her general interactions with chat. Such interactions include her pleading with tired fans staying up late for her stream to go get some sleep, as well as her expressing the happiness she felt knowing Hoomans were inspired to draw because of her, and were also using her #watchMEI Twitter hashtag to draw alongside her during her first drawing stream.
Although she has moments of high energy and excitability (especially while under the effects of caffeine), Mumei regards herself as a “low energy” individual with the social aspect of streaming being surprisingly tiring at times. However, she thinks that it’s okay and normal for people to become tired while doing something they enjoy so she doesn’t mind it. This introverted disposition becomes most apparent when she starts finding it difficult to know what to say; with her often resorting to impromptu singing or noises to fill the silence if streaming by herself, or at times struggling to find an appropriate greeting or response while in the presence of others (though this can result in entertaining but nonsensical conversations with other hololive members such as Gawr Gura and Mori Calliope). These bouts of random sounds and responses may also be partially attributed to her birdbrained nature, with Mumei herself admitting that she has a very short attention span and finds it difficult to multitask. These traits are particularly evident during her Minecraft streams where a theme of her getting sidetracked from her set goals is so common, that at the start of one stream she had to ask chat to tell her if she was deviating too far from her declared plans.
- June 29 Twitter account created.
- July 26 YouTube channel created.
- Aug. 23 Officially debuted on YouTube.
- Aug. 23 Achieved a 200,000 YouTube subscriber milestone.
- Sep. 05 Achieved a 250,000 YouTube subscriber milestone.
- Sep. 22 Achieved a 300,000 YouTube subscriber milestone during a Minecraft stream.
- Sep. 25 Membership feature opened.
- Oct. 30 Achieved a 400,000 YouTube subscriber milestone.
- Nov. 20 Participated in a panel alongside other Council members at Anime NYC 2021.
- Jan. 02 Achieved a 500,000 YouTube subscriber milestone.
Streaming Information[edit source]
Stream Rules[edit source]
For the main page, see Stream Rules.
Mumei has the following streaming rules in her streams' descriptions:
How to maintain a civilization:
Mumei's fans are called Hoomans: a portmanteau of "humans" and "hoo" (the sound an owl makes).
|Scene||Lines||Romaji||Meaning / Notes|
|See Mu-meiter!||Play-on-words on "See you later", coined by Ouro Kronii at the end of the first Council collaboration stream.|
|Scene||Lines||Romaji||Meaning / Notes|
|Waiting||, or the "Processing" membership emote.||Used because of the buffering animation seen on Mumei's original waiting screen ("Processing...").|
|Badges and Emoji||Perk Levels|
Legendary Streams[edit source]
The following streams are considered legendary streams (伝説の配信, densetsu no haishin) by Mumei's fans.
Mumei sings for an audience of over 30,000 concurrent viewers during her first karaoke stream, which was guerrilla and unarchived in nature. During the stream, the word "Mumei" becomes trending worldwide on Twitter: peaking at #13 worldwide, #7 in the United States, and #1 in Canada.
|September 28, 2021|
Other Media[edit source]
- Nanashi (名無し) and Mumei (無名) are both Japanese words which signify namelessness, which is apt considering she has forgotten her previous names.
- Mumei's birthday falls on August 4th, which is also International Owl Awareness Day.
- She has given express permission for Hoomans to use the artwork she has herself drawn (such as those from her Passpartout streams), for use as a personal avatar or other similar use cases.
- Mumei has held unarchived karaoke streams for public viewing on 28th September, 16th October, 12th November, 2nd, 8th, 15th, 20th, and 22nd December, 2021,, as well as 1st and 16th January, 2022. She has also held members-only karaoke streams (also unarchived) on 28th November, 2021 and 6th January, 2022.
- Her karaoke streams are likely to all be unarchived and guerrilla in nature as she is mindful of not disrupting others she lives with. This is likely to continue until she can set up a soundproofed environment in which she can sing without disturbing others.
- Due to the limited time frames in which she can freely sing, Mumei does not have much time to practice singing and would rather do a karaoke stream in these infrequent time slots - meaning that she performs most of her karaoke with little to no prior practice.
- Mumei hosted her first Twitter Space stream (in which she was cooking) on 12th January, 2022.
- She has stated that viewers do not need to send Super Chats toward equipment upgrades or similar purposes as she will be able to cover all relevant costs herself.
- Such donations were initially so frequent that Mumei (jokingly) "banned" such donations because of the sheer number she had received, as well as the absurdity of what Hoomans said they were donating toward.
- Despite it being a normalised "tradition" within the VTuber community, Mumei has further stated that viewers do not need to donate blue Super Chats whenever she takes a streaming break to go to an "idol meeting" (the bathroom).
- Mumei does not foresee herself streaming FPS games on her own channel as she would feel too much pressure to perform well, and would not enjoy streaming these games as a result. She is, however, willing to play as part of other hololive members' streams (such as those of Kureiji Ollie).
- Inugami Korone was the first hololive member that Mumei was interested in and has remained as one of Mumei's oshis ever since; causing Mumei to "fangirl" when they first met in the hololive Minecraft server.
- Prior to debut, Ninomae Ina'nis was the hololive English member she watched the most. As Mumei finds it difficult to focus when watching media such as streams, TV shows and movies (with her frequently leaving them unfinished), she watched Ina's streams while doing other activities. Ina also streamed at convenient times of day for Mumei to watch her streams live.
- From video clips Mumei watches of herself, she has no recollection of "60 percent" of what was clipped. She believes that this is because of the difficulties she has multitasking which makes her not fully process what she is saying at these moments.
- Her difficulties with multitasking have also caused her to do fewer drawing streams. This is because she gets frustrated at being unable to draw and talk at the same time, which cascades into a slower drawing speed. Both of these factors prevent her from fully enjoying doing drawing streams.
- The first official collaboration stream she had beyond other Council members was a Minecraft stream with Takanashi Kiara on 28th September, 2021.
- At debut, she used a keyboard with blue ("clicky") mechanical switches but soon ordered a new keyboard with red ("linear") mechanical switches to replace it. This is because she personally would not want to hear the loud "clickity-clackity" (noise of blue mechanical switches) if she herself were watching someone else's stream. The first stream in which she used her new, quieter keyboard was her first Minecraft stream on September 7th, 2021 (two weeks after debut).
- After she posted her first Tweet, Mumei's Twitter account was flooded with new followers. This led to Twitter temporarily restricting her account due to excessive activity.
- She is one of the hololive production VTubers with a verified YouTube channel. Other verified members can be found here.
- Mumei shares the same oshi/fan mark with the following VTuber:
- Mumei is able to take the form of any owl species, but has most recently taken the form of a barn owl because it matched her "current state of mind".
- The feathers on Mumei's head are actually accessories which form part of her hair tie. These feathers are trophies acquired by Mumei and worn to act as a warning to others.
- As a result, Mumei doesn't wear her hood frequently because it would prevent her from "proudly" displaying these feathers.
- Due to her forgetful nature, Mumei has returned to school (from kindergarten to high school) once every century.
- Befitting her role as Guardian of "Civilization", Mumei dislikes (but is prone to) forgetting things and likes to obtain new knowledge as well as remember things she has forgotten.
- Other things she likes include drawing and singing; while she dislikes mud, printers and mosquitoes.
- Her main goals for her time in hololive include: having an original song be used in a rhythm game; learning new skills (and improving upon current ones, such as Japanese); writing a song for guitar; and being in a 3D Live (as well as general) collaboration stream with her senpai and other Council members.
- Tuesday is Mumei's busiest day of the week due to her duties as Guardian of "Civilization". In terms of responsibilities, the closest parallel to human activities she can think of is "going to school", with these responsibilities including reading, writing, listening, research and testing (or generally "using your brain").
- Due to the unpredictable timings and exhaustion caused by this duty-filled day, she will typically not stream on Tuesdays and is unlikely to streaming again on this day after attempting one such stream on September 22nd, 2021.
- Coupled with her streaming responsibilities, her duties mean that she very rarely has rest days or proper breaks for herself without other obligations to take care of.
- Mumei sees herself as a "night owl" but would prefer to be a "morning person" partially because dislikes sleeping through the daylight hours.
- She generally struggles with sleep: tending to sleep either too long or too little while also being bad at both waking up and falling asleep. These cause her to struggle sleeping for more than three consecutive hours at a time. Although she originally attributed this to having innate problems sleeping, she has since attributed this to being a light sleeper which results in Animal's small movements or noises through the night causing her to wake up.
- She thinks of herself as nomadic as she frequently moves house and is thinking about moving once again to relocate to a more streaming-friendly environment. However, she does wish that she could live in one place for a prolonged period - citing "over a year" as an ideal length of time.
- She currently lives at a location which isn't as accessible as she thinks it should be, with many online businesses not offering delivery to her area and some stores being relatively far away. This distance can make it difficult for her to run small errands.
- She heavily suspects that she has aphantasia, which is an inability to voluntarily create a mental image in one's own mind (for example, of an apple). This suspicion is supported by her normally needing to search for reference images of things that she merely wants to doodle.
- Mumei has been to Japan multiple times before; only ever visiting Tokyo on these occasions. However, she didn't have many opportunities to go sightseeing during these visits.
- She used to dislike Halloween as she was scared of it but has now come to like it. She especially likes how leftover Halloween (and Valentine's Day) sweets and chocolate become heavily discounted shortly after the main day passes.
- Although she has looked at guides on the topic, Mumei has never been able to whistle.
- Mumei doesn't particularly like cooking and finds it a bit of a chore due to it taking a long time. The biggest pain point for her is food preparation as it takes her a long time to chop up ingredients.
- As she doesn't think of herself as a good cook, she finds air fryers very useful and convenient due to the speed and ease of both food preparation and cooking when using the appliance.
- When she doesn't want to cook too much, Mumei often makes simple pasta dishes. Whenever she makes this type of dish she also tends to add a lot of tabasco sauce to it, going so far as to say that the main reason for the meal is so that she "can have a lot of tabasco".
- Mumei was "banned" from having caffeine by Hakos Baelz due to it affecting her for an unusually long time ("nearby 15 hours").
- Due to this sensitivity to caffeine, Mumei rarely drank caffeinated drinks before joining hololive but has since starting drinking them more regularly. This is because caffeine helps her deal with nervousness and allows her to remain productive for longer - though this can cause her to stay up much later than usual and lose sleep or misalign her sleep schedule as a result.
- Her preferred caffeinated drink is instant coffee but she sometimes has soda. She avoids drinking energy drinks.
- She dislikes grocery shopping as her indecisiveness can cause her to spend multiple hours purchasing everything she needs. For instance, this indecisiveness results in her spending inordinate amounts of time comparing different brands of the same item, which also leads to her becoming self-consciousness about other shoppers' thoughts of her spending so long in one place.
- She doesn't normally feel hungry in mornings and afternoons, and tends not to eat before streaming as she feels it makes her tired during the stream. However, her stomach will still rumble as if she were hungry and there have been times where it has done so while she streamed. As such, she often keeps a snack on hand nearby before starting streaming and will often eat during her streams.
- Mumei does not mind having pineapple as a pizza topping, but will not go out of her way to request it.
- Her favourite ice cream flavours are pistachio, vanilla and chocolate (with her also liking a combination of the latter two).
- The type of cake she likes most is strawberry shortcake.
- She likes both vegetable broth soup and berries.
- The digital illustration software Mumei uses is Clip Studio Paint.
- She likes a wide range of musical genres, including folk and "campfire music", pop-punk, J-pop and VOCALOID, with her favourite three music genres being pop-punk, folk, and musicals.
- Folk artists she has mentioned liking include Jim Croce, Neil Young and John Denver.
- Pop-punk bands she enjoys listening to include Blink-182, Mayday Parade, A Day to Remember and The Story So Far, but she frequently listens to a much wider selection of pop-punk bands.
- J-pop artists and VOCALOID producers she likes include DAOKO, Aimer, Orangestar and Pinocchio-P, while she also likes VOCALOIDs including Hatsune Miku and GUMI (the latter being her favourite).
- Due to her struggling to reach higher vocal registers, she believes her vocal range is that of an alto.
- During her (previous) time at school, Mumei took part in multiple school musical productions but eventually stopped taking part as she became more introverted and self-conscious in later years.
- In the past, she was able to play "campfire songs" on guitar with simple chord progressions and basic fingerpicking.
- Due to having "oddly small" hands she was forced to consider purchasing an acoustic guitar (which she prefers over electric and electro-acoustic variants) that was of a smaller-than-normal size. Such a size would allow her to overcome her difficulties in stretching her fingers to reach various barre chords.
- She had learnt to play the piano for multiple years in the past, but her then piano teacher's unfriendliness made her dislike the piano and ultimately pushed her away from wanting to continue playing.
- Mumei prefers the musical adaptation of Les Misérables over the 2012 movie adaptation, and has a preference for the British casting of the musical.
- Anime series she has liked include Neon Genesis Evangelion (her favourite), Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, Hunter × Hunter, Bokurano and Made in Abyss.
- Mumei's aforementioned difficulties when watching streams, TV series and movies (see General Trivia) also means she doesn't watch much anime. This is because it becomes too difficult to pay adequate attention to anime subtitles when she's simultaneously trying to focus on other things.
- Games she enjoys include simulators, world builders and rhythm games.
- She tends to get heavily immersed into and addicted to games she really likes - losing interest in other games as a result.
- Mumei has a pet that she refers to as "Animal" (named as such for the same reason she calls her mascot "Friend") who initially intruded upon and made unwelcome noise in her streams, but has since been regularly welcomed (noise included) on her streams. She concedes that Animal is spoiled not only in general, but also by Hoomans who are very loving toward Animal as a whole - with some going as far as sending Super Chats for it.
- Animal has separation anxiety and will cry and wail if Mumei has to leave Animal's side for an extended period of time. This makes Mumei not want to leave Animal alone, and is the main reason why Mumei sometimes struggles to run even small errands.
- Animal dislikes it when Mumei sits at her desk for long stretches and will often vie for Mumei's attention. An example of this is Animal flipping their basket of toys over numerous times per day; forcing Mumei to stop what she's doing and pick them all back up.
- Animal is able to make noise for multiple hours to get Mumei's undivided attention, with Mumei stating that she has tried not reacting to these pleas (to no avail).
- Mumei rarely purchases new toys for Animal because Animal quickly gets tired of whatever they play with. To counteract this, Mumei will regularly hide away and then reintroduce a selection of toys to keep Animal from losing interest in all their toys at once.
- Animal is "high maintenance", with Mumei spending two to three hours outside with Animal daily. Mumei's daily routine includes her waking up early each morning to take Animal out for a walk, and taking them out again just before she starts streaming to make sure Animal is tired out.
- On days in which Mumei's duties as Guardian of "Civilization" are the busiest, Animal is normally cared for at an "animal day care".
- Animal is friendly toward other animals that are not small enough for Animal to prey upon, but tends to dislike other people. This limits Mumei's ability to hire others to care for Animal in her stead.
- After Mumei eats something, Animal will often want to smell Mumei's mouth as Animal gets curious as to what Mumei has just eaten.
- Animal is very picky about the food they eat: forcing Mumei to change the food that she feeds Animal after what can be as quick as two weeks.
- Food that Animal likes to eat include fish and fish skin.
- Animal often quickly rips out the stuffing and squeakers of toys, and sometimes likes to jump onto Mumei's chair and grab things from her desk to tear apart.
- Chew toys that Mumei has purchased for Animal include beef tracheae, yak cheese, and peanut butter twists. However, Mumei does not buy rawhide as it "gets gross".
- Although Mumei has dental sticks for Animal, Animal tends to prefer chewing on other things.
- Animal will tend not to go to bed until Mumei herself does, and is allowed to sleep on Mumei's bed even though it forces Mumei to change the bed sheets much more frequently as a result.
- If Mumei is lying down somewhere and briefly gets up, Animal likes to go and lie down at the exact spot where Mumei had just lay.
- Animal likes to stealthily stalk other animals even though Animal is very visible while doing so, and also tries to dig through objects that cannot be dug through (such as cardboard and bed mattresses).
- Something that Animal does which Mumei finds irresistably cute is when Animal lays on their back and keeps their claws pointed straight up into the air while staring at Mumei; making Mumei want to give attention to and play with Animal.
- Animal sometimes does impressions of cats and dogs.
- Animal dislikes vacuum cleaners and lint rollers.
Image Gallery[edit source]
Main Concept Illustration
Original Songs[edit source]
The following are original songs by Mumei.
The following are a list of albums Mumei has made or participated in.
Cover Songs[edit source]
The following are a list of songs covered by Mumei.
The following is a list of background music Mumei has used in her streams and videos.
External Links[edit source]